Cigarettes in Switzerland, 2016
The Swiss cigarette market is mature and demand has been in decline for most of the period since 1990, although some short term recovery was experienced in 2006, 2008 and 2009, before the downward trend resumed. Per capita consumption levels remain moderately high, with Overall smoking prevalence has been falling gradually over the long term, with this decline largely attributable to fewer male smokers. The three leading multinational tobacco companies all have factories in Switzerland, which all produce for export in addition to supplying the home market, with exports accounting for the majority of production.
Cigarettes in Switzerland, 2016 is an analytical report by GlobalData that provides extensive and highly detailed current and future market trends in the Swiss market. The report offers Market size and structure of the overall and per capita consumption based upon a unique combination of industry research, fieldwork, market sizing analysis, and our in-house expertise.
– Japan and the Middle East are the principal destinations for export.
– The market is largely supplied by the three leading multinational tobacco companies – Philip Morris, BAT and JT International.
– As elsewhere in Europe the level of consumption in Switzerland is being affected by the availability of non-domestic duty paid supplies. In per capita terms, the Swiss rank as relatively heavy smokers by European standards, although consumption rates have declined considerably during the past twenty five years.
Reasons to buy
– Get a detailed understanding of consumption to align your sales and marketing efforts with the latest trends in the market.
– Identify the areas of growth and opportunities, which will aid effective marketing planning.
– The differing growth rates in regional product sales drive fundamental shifts in the market.
– This report provides detailed, authoritative data on these changes – prime intelligence for marketers.
– Understand the market dynamics and essential data to benchmark your position and to identify where to compete in the future.
Table of Contents For This Report
Table of Contents
2 Market Size
3 Market Structure
4 Manufacturers & Brands
5 Taxation & Retail
Retail Prices 24
6 The Smoking Population
7 Production & Trade
8 Operating Constraints
Advertising Restrictions 41
Health Warnings 41
Public Smoking 42
Other Restrictions 42
9 Company Profile
10 Prospects & Forecasts
What is this Report About? 48
Time Frame 48
Product Category Coverage 48
About GlobalData 50
Contact Us 51
List of Tables
Table 1: Cigarette Consumption, Million Pieces, 1990-2016
Table 2: Swiss Customs & Excise Clearances, 1990-2015
Table 3: Duty Paid v Illegal Sales, 2013-2015, Million Pieces
Table 4: Per Capita Consumption, 1990-2016
Table 5: Retail Sales, Cigarettes, 1995-2015
Table 6: Market Breakdown by Blend, 1999-2010, % Volume
Table 7: Market Breakdown, Hard Pack vs. Soft Pack, 2000-2006, % Volume
Table 8: Cigarette Sales by Outlet, 2008
Table 9: Manufacturer Sales & Market Shares, Million Pieces, 2000-2015
Table 10: Manufacturer Sales & Market Shares, % of Total, 2000-2015
Table 11: Brand Family Shares, % Volume, 2000-2011
Table 12: Development of Cigarette Tax, 1990-2016
Table 13: Tax Breakdown per Packet, 2009, 2012, 2014 & 2016
Table 14: Tax Burden on Cigarettes, 1990-2015
Table 15: Revenue from Tobacco Taxation, 1990-2015
Table 16: Cigarette Retail Price Trends, 1990-2015
Table 17: Smoking Population, 1990-2015
Table 18: Smoking by Age & Gender, 2001-2015, % of All Adults
Table 19: Smoking by Age & Gender, 2001-2015, % of Males Smoking
Table 20: Smoking by Age & Gender, 2001-2015, % of Females Smoking
Table 21: Smoking by Linguistic Group, 2001-2015
Table 22: Cigarette Production, Million Pieces, 1990-2015
Table 23: Cigarette Output by Tobacco Type, 2009-2011, % Volume
Table 24: Cigarette Imports, 1990-2015
Table 25: Imports by Country of Origin, Million Pieces, 2000-2014
Table 26: Imports by Country of Origin, % of Total, 2000-2014
Table 27: Cigarette Exports, Million Pieces, 1990-2015
Table 28: Exports by Country of Destination, Million Pieces, 2000-2014
Table 29: Exports by Country of Destination, % Breakdown, 2000-2014
Table 30: Philip Morris SA
Table 31: British American Tobacco Switzerland SA
Table 32: JT International AG
Table 33: Consumption Forecasts to 2025
List of Figures
Figure 1: Methodology
Figure 2: GlobalData at a glance